Information for Ph.D. students admitted for studies in the 2022/2023 academic year
ENROLMENT DATES: Thursday 29 September 2022 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Enrolment will take place in the main CUFA building (nám. J. Palacha 2, Prague 1), room no. 4 (ground floor to the left).
Organization of enrolment:
- Ph.D. students admitted to studies are informed of the organization of enrolment sufficiently in advance by e-mail.
- Students who cannot attend enrolment in person due to serious reasons can arrange an individual enrolment term (always during the office hours of the Ph.D. and Academic Qualifications Office, after agreeing in advance by e-mail or phone with the study officer).
- Enrolment may also be made by proxy on behalf of the student based on a power of attorney prepared for this purpose. The power of attorney does not need to be certified. However, you must state the purpose of the power of attorney, i.e. “representation relating to enrolment for studies at the Faculty of Arts, Charles University”. PDF form to be completed.
You must submit the following documents for enrolment:
- Valid ID card; Czech students and students from EU countries
- Valid passport: students out of EU countries
- One of the following documents:
- Graduates of Mgr. studies at the Faculty of Arts
- Certified copy of master’s diploma (those who already have their diploma). You can also bring the original diploma, and the Ph.D. and Academic Qualifications Office will copy it.
- If you are a graduate of a master’s programme of study at the Faculty of Arts and do not yet have your diploma but have the status “graduated” in SIS, we will have available the confirmation of completion of studies for the purpose of enrolment in Ph.D. studies.
- Graduates of Mgr. studies at institutions other than the Faculty of Arts
- Certified copy of master’s diploma
- If your diploma has not yet been issued, confirmation of graduation from master’s studies. The certified copy of the master’s diploma will need to be submitted when it is issued, no later than 31 December 2022.
- If required by the regulations, graduates of foreign institutions (including Slovakia) must submit a certificate of MA degree recognition in addition to the diploma. Detailed information on recognition of foreign education can be found here: http://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-16.html An application for assessment of foreign higher education can also be submitted through the Admissions and External Relations Department as a part of the admissions procedure at CUFA. More information can be found here: https://www.ff.cuni.cz/home/applicants/nostrification-diplomas/#MA
- Signed Notice relating to safety and fire protection (English version here.)
- Signed matriculation oath (English version of the matriculation oath here.)
If all required documents are not submitted, enrolment cannot be completed.
During enrolment, students will receive:
- A decision on admission to studies
- Confirmation of studies (including the English version)
After enrolment, students are required to:
- Pick up their student ID card at one of the Charles University card service centres
- Activate their account in the computer system and log in to the Student Information System – SIS (graduates of the Faculty of Arts will still have access under the current access data until the date of expiration).
- Create an ORCID ID
The Charles University student card confirms your affiliation to the university. After enrolment, the student will pick up the student ID card at one of Charles University’s card service centres.
The student ID card can be used for the Prague public transportation system and also serves as a card for using copy machines at Charles University. More information on printing and copying services at the Faculty of Arts can be found here. More information on IDs can be found on Charles University’s website.
Activating student accounts
Student accounts are administered in the Central Authentication Service (CAS) of Charles University. Students set their password in this system for access to CAS and contact information. The password and username of the student may then be used as access data for many Charles University applications and libraries. The personal ID number is an important piece of data that is assigned to students at the beginning of their studies and serves as an identifier. The student number is also specified on the student ID card. After enrolment, each student is required to activate their account in the computer network and to log in to the Student Information System – SIS (graduates of the Faculty of Arts will still have access under the current access data until the date of expiration).
- General information on the computer network and Student Information System (Note: This information is primarily for undergraduates, so not everything is relevant for Ph.D. studies.)
Ph.D. and Academic Qualifications Office and your study officer
Contacts for the study officers at the Ph.D. and Academic Qualifications Office can be found here.
Supervisor and subject-area board
Most subject areas for Ph.D. studies organize meetings with first-year students. Thus, we recommend having a look at the web pages of your department or institute that organizes your subject area. The Rector’s Office of Charles University regularly organizes orientation weeks for first-year students.