Schwa is a student society which aims to bring together all students of English and American Studies and support them in organising creative projects and events. Students of other studies at the Faculty of Arts with a passion for the English language are welcome to all events as well. Schwa receives great support from Department of Anglophone Literatures and Cultures and Department of English Language and ELT Methodology.
We organize various events throughout the year and most of them are English friendly:
- The Artful – annual collection of students’ authorial works (poetry & prose)
- Schwa Film Screenings – important movies of the anglophone culture with brief introductions and presentations
- Schwa Theatre Club – theatre going group – most plays are in Czech
- Literary evenings – reading of authorial works
- Pub quizes – usually during the exam period to let off some steam
- Fresher’s weekend – an introductory weekend for new students
- Parties: Christmas parties, welcome parties (part of the Fresher’s Weekend)
To find out more about us and what we are currently up to, visit our Facebook page, our website, or follow us on Instagram @FFSchwa
We are also closely connected to Shakespeare Production where many of our members have played throughout the many years of its existence under the guidance of an amazing director John Martlew. Each year, Shakespeare Production stages one play by William Shakespeare in the demanding original text. The group is consisted of non-native speakers. If you would like to join the group, do not hesitate and write Václav Kyllar who organizes castings.