International Relations Office
náměstí Jana Palacha 2
116 38 Praha 1
Rooms 103 a 128

General information about freemover programme


Students whose home university currently does not have any exchange agreement with the Faculty of Arts or who wish to arrange their studies abroad on their own can apply as a freemover. This programme implies no tuition fees related with the studies at CU FA.

Be aware that a freemover stay cannot exceed two semesters.

To apply, please deliver an application directly to the International Relations Office (by post or scanned via e-mail, contact: Mgr. Renata Jamin). The application includes application form, CV (personal resume) , passport photocopy/scan, motivation letter (cover letter), Transcript of Records, academic recommendation(s) and certificate of enrollment at your home university.

THE OFFICIAL DEADLINES (to submit an application and supporting documentation)

  • Students of EU or EFTA countries citizenship: 30th April (for winter term), 31st October (for summer term)
  • Students of third countries citizenship: 31st March (for winter term), 30th September (for summer term)


Before arrival

If the academic department agrees to accept the student, Faculty of Arts International Relations Office issues a Letter of Acceptance.

If the student requested housing in the original application form, IRO arranges an accomodation at Charles University Halls of Residence. For more information about housing, please go to the CU dormitories website.

* Visa requirements

Please consult the visa requirements for your country here and learn some recommendations here.


After arrival


Official Registration

You need to register at the International Relations Office (128) once you arrive, anytime within the office hours. Bring your passport or ID, a photo and the Letter of Acceptance to the registration meeting.


Foreign Police

Please consult the relevant information and registration obligations here.


Student ID Card and Book of Academic Records (Index)

Each international exchange student must get an ID card (free of charge). The ID contains the most important information about a student. The card is valid for the period of the student’s mobility. A Faculty of Arts coupon valid for the current academic year will be given to each student on the registration meeting.

Make sure that you get a book of academic records (Index)at registration and record properly all the courses you attend (course code, course name, name of the instructor).


Course Selection

International exchange students should contact an academic coordinator fromthe corresponding institute or department (usually quoted on the letter of acceptance) in order to discuss courses to attend. Institutes and departments publish the term course schedules on their websites or on the secretariat boards.

Once you have selected courses for a semester, you should proceed with signing them up in the Student Information System.


Before departure

Transcript of Records

By the end of each semester all course results and ECTS credits awarded must be recorded in your book of academic records. Students may ask for an official document, Transcript of Records, at least one week before their departure.

contact: Mgr. Renata Jamin