E-Resources FAQ

I do not study or teach at Charles University. I have no formal relation to CU or I attend courses at the University of the Third Age. Can I still use eResources at CU FA?

Yes, you may use eResources even as academia or general public user without any formal relation to CU. First of all, it is necessary to obtain a so-called external user ID card issued at CU Card Service Centres. As an external user of the services, you may use eResources either access them directly from the computers in the libraries at CU FA, where the staff of the library will log you in after you produce the external user ID card. When the staff logs you into a computer, you may use one of the searching tools and gain access to EIR described here.

Due to the licence conditions, the remote access to EIR (i.e. from your computer) is limited for external users only to certain resources. The list of the available EIR for external users may be found on the eResources Portal. To remotely access EIR, you have to log in with the login you receive at the Card Service Centre when your external user card is being issued.

For your first search, we recommend using the search engine UKAŽ which searches almost through all printed and electronic resources at Charles University and elsewhere. For a more detailed search, we recommend using eResources Portal, i.e. databases that you may find there.

I need access to an e-resource subscribed for another programme than mine. May I access e-resources that are not intended for my programme?

A great number of databases are subscribed with access for the whole university. Such databases are, therefore, accessible to the whole academia regardless of their programme. Nevertheless, some databases are intended solely for certain programmes and in such a case, only the students and teachers of these programmes have remote access to them. The access is verified by Charles University Central Authentication Service and if your account is not connected to the given programme, it is not possible to remotely access this resource.

If you need access to a resource that does belong to your programme, the solution is to directly access it from a computer where the resource is available. If you want to use the resource, for example, one that is accessible only for a programme taught in the CU building in Jinonice, you have to visit the local library and access the resource from the computer in it. You will need to log in to an account in the domain Jinonice which the students of CU FA are entitled to have. More information on the domain Jinonice may be found here (in Czech).


How can I find out which database is accessible for my programme and which is for the whole university?

After a click-through to a database on the eResources Portal, you can find rows “Direct access for:” or “Remote access:”. There you can see the name of the faculties or their departments and institutions that have access to the particular database. You may find a complete overview of the resources here.

There are two links to remote accesses on eResources Portal: One has in brackets EZproxy and the other one Shibboleth. Which one should I choose?

EZproxy and Shibboleth are services that provide remote access to resources. The remote access of some resources is available only via Shibboleth or EZproxy, some even via both services. For you, as an end-user, is important that their operation is not different from each other and both will take you to the desired database.

I have logged into eResources Portal and I see a sentence “This resource is not fully available to you!”. What does it mean?

Some resources (databases) contain other partial sub-databases that may relate to various programmes (e.g. EBSCOhost database). This sentence notifies you that some of these sub-databases may not be accessible to you as they are not related to your programme, therefore, you cannot use it for licencing or technical reasons.