Direct exchanges (University and Faculty agreements)

International Relations Office
náměstí Jana Palacha 2
116 38 Praha 1
Rooms 103 a 128

General information about university and faculty exchanges


Direct exchange programmes are based on bilateral agreements between Charles University and foreign universities (university exchanges) and/or between Faculty of Arts and foreign faculties (faculty exchanges).

The requirements of a student exchange are the most often stated in particular agreement (the quota limit per semester/academic year, study fields concerned etc.). Agreements are usually reciprocal, i.e. both sides accept and send the same number of students.

Students interested in studying at the Faculty of Arts through terms of university or faculty agreement need to contact the field academic department and/or International Relations Office of home university.


THE OFFICIAL DEADLINES (to submit an application and supporting documentation)

  • Students of EU or EFTA countries citizenship: 30th April (for winter term), 31st October (for summer term)
  • Students of third countries citizenship: 31st March (for winter term), 30th September (for summer term)


  • nomination letter from the home university
  • Application Form
  • passport photocopy/scan

Both documents must be sent to the International Relations Office of Charles University (university exchanges) or directly to the International Relations Office of the Faculty of Arts (faculty exchanges).

List of the Inter-University Agreements (Charles University)

Before arrival


If the academic department agrees to accept the student, Faculty of Arts International Relations Office issues a Letter of Acceptance.

If the student requested housing in the original application form, IRO arranges an accomodation at Charles University Halls of Residence. For more information about housing, please go to the CU dormitories website.


* Visa requirements

Please consult the visa requirements for your country here and learn some recommendations here.


After arrival


Official Registration

You need to register at the International Relations Office (128) once you arrive, anytime within the office hours. Bring your passport or ID, a photo and the Letter of Acceptance to the registration meeting.


Foreign Police

Please consult the relevant information and registration obligations here.


Student ID Card and Book of Academic Records (Index)

Each international exchange student must get an ID card (free of charge). The ID contains the most important information about a student. The card is valid for the period of the student’s mobility. A Faculty of Arts coupon valid for the current academic year will be given to each student on the registration meeting.

Make sure that you get a book of academic records (Index)at registration and record properly all the courses you attend (course code, course name, name of the instructor).


Course Selection

International exchange students should contact an academic coordinator from the corresponding institute or department (usually quoted on the letter of acceptance) in order to discuss courses to attend. Institutes and departments publish the term course schedules on their websites or on the secretariat boards.

Once you have selected courses for a semester, you should proceed with signing them up in the Student Information System.




“Government” students entitled to a stipend receive 9000,- CZK/month when studying at bachelor or master level, and 9500,- CZK/month at Ph.D. level. Direct exchange students entitled to a stipend receive 1500,- CZK/month. The amount of a stipend, if applicable, is stated on the acceptance letter.

Scholarships are disbursed at the faculty cash desk (pokladna), room 123, 1st floor within the office hours. “Government” scholarships are available during the 1st week of each month and direct exchange scholarships every 12th day in a month. Students who do not pick up the amount within the current month must inform the International Office about the reasons, or risk losing the right to have it transferred to the next month.

Before departure


Transcript of Records

By the end of each semester all course results and ECTS credits awarded must be recorded in your book of academic records. Students may ask for an official document, Transcript of Records, at least one week before their departure.

contact person: Mgr. Renata Jamin