Visa and Residence Permit

International Relations Office
náměstí Jana Palacha 2
116 38 Praha 1
Rooms 103 a 128

Students from non-EU or non-EFTA (third) countries who wish to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days have to apply for a long-term visa or residence permit.

  • An application for the visa/permit should be submitted to the Czech embassy or consulate in the student’s country of origin, citizens of the listed countries can apply at any embassy or consulate of the Czech Republic.
  • Be aware that the administration process can take up to 60 days by law.
  • The embassy charges CZK 500 for accepting an application for a residence permit for the purpose of studies.
  • The foreign national then pays CZK 2,500 for the residence card in the Czech Republic.
  • Acceptance of an application for a long-term visa for the purpose of studies is exempt from a consular fee.
  • For the detailed information on visa/permit policy, conditions and requirements to file an application see the website of the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) of the Czech Republic.

Upon arrival, students from non-EU or non-EFTA countries are obliged to register after arrival with the Foreign Police, if it has not been done by the accommodation provider.

Within 3 working days of entering the Czech Republic, all foreign students arriving to receive a long-term residence permit are obliged to report to the MOI office in person for the purpose of carrying out activities associated with issuing a biometric residence card, where they may also report their arrival. Students that have been issued a residence card are obliged to return the card before ending their stay in the CR.

Students from both non-EU and EU countries are obliged to report changes concerning their stay in the Czech Republic, such as a change in address, a change in their travel document or family status.


Contact the Ministry of the Interior (Department for Asylum and Migration Policy) office when you wish to:

  • apply for an extension of the permitted period of stay on a long-term visa (applications for such visas should be made to the relevant Czech embassies)
  • apply for a long-term residence permit or its extension
  • apply for a permanent residence permit
  • apply for a certificate of temporary residence (EU citizens)
  • apply for a temporary residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen or an extension of a residence card
  • report a change in your place of residence in the Czech Republic or other changes related to your residence
  • apply for a confirmation of residence


Extension of your visa/permit:

  1. If the student has visa with validity period shorter than one year, he/she can extend it up to 1 year (which is the maximum duration of this type of visa). He/she can apply for the extension in person at regional offices on the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic or via post (how to extend a long-term visa). Student who was already granted by a long-term visa can also directly apply for a long-term residence permit for the purpose of “studies”. This new application has to be made in person at an OPC´s office (how to lodge a new application for a long-term visa).
  2. If a student already has long-term residence for purpose of “studies” which validity is expiring soon, he/she can extend it in person or via post (how to extend a long-term residence permit). This is applied only in case the student continues his/her studies at the same school/university.
  3. There is a special OPC office at Hládkov for foreign students with residence in Prague.
  4. In some cases there is an application fee required. If you send your application via post, please do not forget to attach fee stamps of respective value. More information can be found under corresponding hyperlinks. Overview of fees can be found here.
  5. Detailed information