The Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Charles University announces an open competition for the following academic position at
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
Job title: Lecturer
Expected salary/job rank: AP2
Field and specialization: modern continental philosophy with special focus on tradition of phenomenology and hermeneutics
Full-time position (40 hours per week) for a period of three-year
Responsibilities for the position include:
- teaching philosophy course at the undergraduate as well as graduate level: 7 courses in one academic year (course = 90 min per week; academic year = two terms, i.e. 3 courses in one term, four courses in the other term)
- supervising students
- student’s examination
- contributing to the curriculum development as appropriate
- establishing and maintaining independent research
- participating in the academic life of the department
- PhD in philosophy or a related field
- teaching experience
- publication record
- excellent command of English (or Czech) both in writing and speaking; knowledge of Czech is not required but working knowledge of it is expected after two years (in the case the contract should be prolonged); good knowledge of one other language (preferably German or French)
- a salary up to 30 000 CZK with possibility of further increase depending on the research outcomes of the employee
- environment of a major humanitiesʼ school, located in the historical center of the city of Prague
- social and medical insurance according to EU regulations
- According to the university rules the contract can be prolonged after three years; the prolongation is either for another period of three years or tenure. The probationary period is three months.
Expected starting date: October 1, 2018
Application deadline: March 15, 2018 (23:59h / before 16th March 2018 Prague local time)
The application must include the following:
- a cover letter containing your motivation for the position
- cv and list of publications
- the names and contact details of two referees and an indication whether we can contact them at this stage
- a sample of a written work that is relevant to this position, not more than 10 000 words; it may be a published or unpublished sample and may be an extract from a longer piece
- teaching evaluation (if available)
- suggestion of a syllabus for an undergraduate course under the general heading “Philosophy of 20th Century” (two terms, 20-24 lectures (one lecture = 90 min); the aim of the course should be basic introduction to selected philosophical problems for philosophy students on BA level; students should gain a general knowledge of problems and methods of modern continental philosophy with special focus on tradition of phenomenology and hermeneutics
The application process will be in two rounds. The committee appointed by the dean of the Faculty of Arts decides in the first round on the basis of submitted materials. The candidates invited for the second round will be asked to (a) deliver a public lecture in the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, Charles University and (d) be available for an interview with the committee. The shortlist of candidates for the second round will be available by early April 2018; lectures and interviews are scheduled for late April and early May 2018.
Submitting the application:
- Submission by mail or in person:
The application with all its attachments can be sent by mail or delivered in person to the following address: Hana Vamberská, Human Resources Dept., FF UK, nám. Jana Palacha 1/2, 116 38 Praha, Czech Republic.
- Submission by e-mail:
The application with all its attachments can be sent by e-mail to the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Based on the committee’s decision, either all applicants or selected applicants only will be invited to the second round of the competition, i.e. an on-site interview, which may include a public lecture.
For additional information you can contact:
Dr. Jakub Jirsa, Head of department, email@example.com (job profile and academic matters)
Hana Vamberská, firstname.lastname@example.org (application procedures)
Info about the department: http://ufar.ff.cuni.cz/10/about-our-department