In the academic year 2017/18 (winter / summer term), CUFA Library organises an elective seminar focused on Information Literacy. The seminar is open to all students at Charles University (SIS code for English version: AKFF00002). The seminar will be taught in blocs in the Jan Palach library. On completion, students will receive 4 credits.
Tentative contents of the course:
- Introduction to the services of CUFA Library and libraries in general. Library funds, borrowing rules, services, catalogues. General catalogue (Czech Republic), inter-library borrowing services. Tour of Jan Palach Library.
- Introduction to electronic information resources I – basic research in all resources available at CUFA and open access resources. Basic research techniques. Citation forms, citation norms, citation managers.
- Preparation & presentation – document revisions, PDF document creation (including the creation of valid PDF/A), PowerPoint presentation techniques, document sharing. Recommendations concerning freely available tools for document editing and time management. Information about MS Office package for CUFA students. PC and mobile applications for everyday use.
- Introduction to electronic information resources II – evaluating research tasks, revisions, suggestions for improvements, limiting search queries, etc.
- Research evaluation, publishing – Introduction into research evaluation. Presentation of different forms of publishing, warning against predatory publishing platforms. Grant opportunities for CUFA students.
The enrolment for the winter term (2017/2018) is already open – we look forward to seeing you at the seminar!